Ensberg Jacobs Design Inc
Ensberg Jacobs Design, Inc. is a full service architectural firm located in Santa Barbara, California. EJD Inc. was founded in 1994 by partners Cass Ensberg, A.I.A. and Tom Jacobs, A.I.A. The firm provides professional services in planning, commercial, educational, governmental, and residential architecture and interior design. The primary focus of the firm is the design of living and working spaces that function flawlessly, integrate the natural environment with interior spaces, and merge the indoors and outdoors. Practicality, responsiveness to client's wishes, optimal incorporation of existing conditions, and sensitivity to local building forms and traditions earmark Ensberg Jacobs Design's work. Through careful observation, listening, and working as a team with the owner, the users, and the contractor, Ensberg Jacobs Design brings creativity, economy, and practicality to every project. The two principals of this partnership have over forty years of combined professional experience in architecture and interior design. Their completed projects include a full spectrum of work in the public and private realms.
Thomas Jacobs, A.I.A. Architect
Tom Jacobs is a native Oregonian who has lived in Santa Barbara since 1978. In the 37 years that he has practiced architecture he has worked on a wide variety of projects including a new residence on the bluffs of Malibu and the beach at Padaro Lane to a second story craftsman addition just steps from the Mission in Santa Barbara. His commercial work included renovations to some of the most prestigious Country Clubs in California such as Annandale and the Los Angeles Country Clubs, the Monterrey Peninsula Country Club, Del Paso Country Club, and Hunter Ranch Golf Course Clubhouse, all successful in great part due to Tom’s ability to work through complex approval processes and to work with diverse groups.
- 2012-Present/ Founding Board member, Mission Heritage Trail Association/
- 2009-2011/ President, UCSB Affiliates
- 2008-2009/ President, Rotary Club of Santa Barbara North
- 2005-2011/ Chairman - Mission Canyon Architectural Design Review Committee
- 2001-2003/ President, Architectural Foundation of Santa Barbara
- 2000-2011/ Board Member Mission Canyon Association
- 1995-Present/ Partner, Ensberg Jacobs Design, Inc.
- 1995-Present/ Professional Member of the Santa Barbara A.I.A.
- 1985-Present/ Board Member Architectural Foundation of Santa Barbara
- 1988-1994/ Member Montecito Board of Architectural Review
- 1986-1995/ Project Architect, Warner & Gray Architects
- 1980-1986/ Project Architect, Seaside Union Architects
- 1984/ Licensed Architect, CA Lic. # 18070
- 1978/ Master of Architecture University of Oregon
- 1972/ B.A. Pomona College, History & Modern Languages
Cassandra Ensberg, A.I.A. LEED A.P. Architect
Cassandra was born in Wareham, Massachusetts and raised as an “Air Force Brat”, attending schools in at least seven states and graduating from Colorado State University in 1972 with a Bachelor of Fine Art and a concentration in Interior Design. She worked for architectural firms in Denver and in Santa Barbara before becoming a liscenced California architect in 1996 and starting her own company. She works with her architect husband Tom Jacobs at their Santa Babara architecture and design firm of Ensberg Jacobs Design Inc. In all of her work, art is a pivotal along with logic, nature, farming, conservation, and humor. She works to educate about the importance of art, design, and architecture through her community involvement, most notably the Architectural Foundation of Santa Barbara and the Kids Draw Architecture program which she founded in 1989.
- 2014-Present/ President, Architectural Foundation of Santa Barbara
- 2012-Present/ Board Member Santa Barbara A.I.A.
- 2005-Present/ Board Member Architectural Foundation of Santa Barbara
- 1996-Present/ Partner & Artist, Ensberg Jacobs Design Inc.
- 2004 LEED/ (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) Accredited
- 1996/ Licensed Architect, CA Lic. #C 26213
- 1989-1996/ Interior Designer, DesignArc Architects, Santa Barbara, CA
- 1986-1987/ Studio Artist, San Francisco, CA
- 1985/ Studio Artist, East Berlin, PA
- 1981-1983/ Interior Designer, Hoover Berg Desmond Architects, Denver, CO
- 1972-1979/ Interior Designer, Associates III, Denver, CO
- 1969-1972/ BFA, Colorado State University, concentration in Interior Design
- 1968-1969/ Undergraduate work in art, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD